Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Metal Monk


One story I noticed when I didn't have time to blog was

At first glance, Cesare Bonizzi looks like the archetypal Capuchin monk - round-faced, stout, with twinkling eyes and a long flowing white beard. But beneath his robes beats a heart of metal.
Brother Cesare is the lead singer in a heavy metal band which has just released its second album.
A former missionary in Ivory Coast, he lives in a small friary in the Milan hinterland.
The 62-year-old monk's love affair with heavy metal began when he attended a Metallica concert some 15 years ago.
"I was overwhelmed and amazed by the sheer energy of it" he says.


Being partial to a bit of metal / rock in my younger days (still will stick on occasionally), a post a Rise & Pray got me thinking, does the music you listen too have an effect on you. I would say it does, listening to classical / liturgical music certainly makes me mellower, while rock / pop does make me a bit spikier!. This can be a good thing, listening to XFM the other day got me in a right, I'm going to do something, mood and got round to sending off a blunt reply to a letter from my MP!

The other thing I noted from the article was that Br Cesare appeared at a festival on the same bill as Slayer - a band who use satanic lyrics and imagery who were aroung when I was teenager and still are. I have little doubt its, as my brother put it, 'cod - satanism' and the band themselves deny they are satanist, indeed Kerry King is an avowed atheist but I always conciously stayed away from their records, and I didn't have any faith at the time.

Did a bit of digging, interesting King claims But I know that Tom and Dave both are religious people. If they are religious, it does make you wonder how they can continue to use these lyrics and imagery.

No comments: