Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Biddings & Sign of Peace (GIRM fans look away now)


Over at In Hoc Signo Vinces and Laodicea, the practice of 'biddings from the floor' at Mass is rightly lamented. I’ve only seen this attempted once, somewhere between Canada and Mexico, to protect the guilty country’s identity… and to the priest’s obvious horror, there was silence. Nothing. Tumbleweed. He looked genuinely downcast…

He recovered sufficently enough to shake everyone, yes I mean everyone’s, (approx 50 people) hand at the sign of peace. I remember thinking at the time perhaps he should be appointing extra ordinary ministers of the sign of peace to help him out…

It also reminds me of the sign of peace at the High Mass in the episcopal church I attended before jumping the fence, they had a great reverent liturgy - priest, deacon, sub deacon, latin, great choir, couldn't see the altar for incense generally - but at the sign of peace I don't think one person stayed at their place, it could last for 3 or 4 minutes!

No comments: