Monday, 1 December 2008

The Face of God - Archbishop Raya


An open tag at Infused Knowledge,.

Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write the 5th sentence, as well as two to five sentences following that.

Nearest book - The Face of God by Archbishop Joesph Raya

It (Creation) is a work which had a beginning. Beginning presupposes a change, a passage from non-existance to existence. Creation, therefore, is, by virtue of its origin, something which changes, it pases from one state to another state.God alone remains absolute repose. The concept that the whole universe is in continual change and evolution is a traditional characteristic of Byzantine thought.


Absolute cracker, reading again for Advent, it's a great primer on eastern Catholic (& Orthodox) spirituality.

Feel free to have a go yourself, no cheating, nearest book!

3 comments:

John said...

My closest book is Benedictine Daily Prayer.

Page 56, 5th sentence, and the 5 following sentences:

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

“Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”

The 56/5/5 passage is Paul writing to the Phillippians 4:4 and following. This reading is part of the Benedictine divine office for December 21 of each year, a reading for Vigils (the prayers during the night).

This was the closest book to me because this morning I prayed the divine office at my computer rather than in my regular reading chair because my back was giving me a problem and I just left it there all day — getting ready for a late compline, which is much later because of this comment!

[I checked the link in my first comment and it worked, but when the comment was posted, the link went to another page, so I have used another source for the link to the quoted book.]

The Cellarer said...

I used Benedictine Daily Prayer before getting the Divine Office. Still pull out from time to time.

Anonymous said...

I guess Bill Bryson ain't the best author for a moral phil input:
"All over - well nearly. In the 1890s there was a really bad drought. They say the land's never recovered and probably never will."
MAybe I should try this in a Vatican library!